•  

Related Ads

View Thread

Security Override Hacking Challenges Programming Challenges
    Programming 12
    Register FAQ Members List Today's Posts Search

Print Thread
    01-07-2011 09:57 PM Programming 12
    Hmmm.... not so sure what to do with this one. I guess I'm assuming that there are five variables, c, u, b, e, and d, and you're trying to find which values will make the equation true. I did a quick python script that ran through values from 1 to 50, but nothing came out. any pointers as to whether or not i'm on the right track?
    -coolwhoop10

01-08-2011 01:34 AM RE: Programming 12 | Edited by Null Set 01-14-2013 07:07 AM
    coolwhoop10 wrote:
    Hmmm.... not so sure what to do with this one. I guess I'm assuming that there are five variables, c, u, b, e, and d, and you're trying to find which values will make the equation true. I did a quick python script that ran through values from 1 to 50, but nothing came out. any pointers as to whether or not i'm on the right track?

You're on the right track. Just make sure you're not ignoring any numbers. Smile [EDITED]

01-08-2011 03:07 PM RE: Programming 12
    thanks for the pointer! just an edit then, i tried using integer values from -9 and 9 and got a lot of results that matched the set.... what sort of form should the solution be in? or am i missing something with how the equation is to be set.
    -coolwhoop10

01-31-2011 06:25 AM RE: Programming 12
    I solved the equation but I am stuck with the form .please help.

01-31-2011 07:17 AM RE: Programming 12
    Btw, you can try to solve this using a calculator, as long as you make a few reasonable assumptions. Wink
    Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
    -- Friedrich Nietzsche

02-15-2012 10:08 PM RE: Programming 12 | Edited by Batok 09-08-2012 03:18 PM
    I dont get this mission at all.
    I can generate all the solutions and some solutions look more interesting than others
    but nothing really obvious stands out as an answer.
    Are some mathematical shenanigans involved ?
    Is there a smiley for 'very perplexed' ?

-----EDIT------
    my bad i had misinterpreted the equation.

09-17-2012 11:06 PM RE: Programming 12
    I actually found 2 answers. Both work. Sweet.

01-12-2013 09:34 AM RE: Programming 12 | Edited by skewlboy 01-12-2013 03:17 PM
    Someone should add to the challenge text that 0 is not an option as that's the obvious choice!
    And also that one of them being 1 and the rest 0 is not an option either.

I haven't solved it, but, also, I'm not sure how can there be only *1* solution if the order of the variables does not matter... unless they all have the same value (which it doesn't look like as I've tested a lot of repeated values for all)...

01-13-2013 10:00 AM RE: Programming 12 | Edited by Null Set 01-14-2013 07:08 AM
    Null Set wrote:
    coolwhoop10 wrote:

You're on the right track. Just make sure you're not ignoring any numbers. Smile [EDITED]

[EDITED]?

01-13-2013 10:35 AM RE: Programming 12 | Edited by Null Set 01-14-2013 07:05 AM
    http://securityoverride.org/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=99

one thing that was not clear to me at first making it impossible to solve the equation is that:

[EDITED] <Yes, it is part of the challenge Grin - Null Set>

just to make it clearer to someone else also having issues Smile

(please remove if part of the challenge was this "logic-like challenge" trap)

01-27-2013 01:26 AM RE: Programming 12
    ... I'm getting
    "Login Error: You have entered an incorrect Username and/or Password."

o.O

03-12-2013 03:11 PM RE: Programming 12
    make the total of digits equal your cube root of a five-digit number.

PS: Calculator rocks!! Pfft Grin Grin
    "If you have to ask, you will never know...
    If you know, you need only ask...

07-18-2014 02:09 PM RE: Programming 12 | Edited by Ideka 07-18-2014 02:09 PM
    The challenge should state that:
    a) All numbers must be 1 digit only (so the solution has to have only 5 digits)
    b) "CUBED" doesn't mean C * U * B * E * D as any reasonable person who knows a bit about mathematics would assume, but rather means the concatenation of the digits of each number
    and c) apparently no number can be 0.

Figuring out all these arbitrary rules CANNOT be part of the challenge. I mean come on.

Jump to Forum:
    Forum powered by fusionBoard